I had planned this event last year, but it was only involving my Sunday School class. This year I suggested that we include all of the Single's, this would be a great event for all of us to meet and get to know each other better.
On Saturday, June 21 at 3pm, seven teams left the church parking lot in search of their first location. The first clue sent the teams to the Belle Meade plantation. The teams didn't have to do a task at this location, they just needed to get there and get their clue for their next location. The second location was Centennial Park, I need to tell you that last year when we did this, we had the park as one of the locations, not knowing that there was a huge Gay and Lesbian rally going on that day, it was hilarious! This year, there was not rally of any sort going on, and the teams had to find Sean (a professional entertainer - aka "Clown") and learn how to make a balloon animal. Sean had the balloons blown up already, each person on the team just needed to make a balloon animal before they could get their next clue. You like how I make sound like it's so easy to do! The third location was Ft. Negley, here they had to eat a Moon Pie and a RC cola in honor of the Moon Pie Festival that was going on in Beltbuckle, TN. I know, the fort didn't have anything to do with it, I just really wanted them to eat a moon pie and drink and RC cola. Now, the catch though was that the same person could not do both and so there had to be two people and they they couldn't do it at the same time, meaning that they had to go one at a time, which would slow them down. The next location was at "Cooter's", this place has some memoralbeilia...memoralbel..."stuff" from the "The Duke's of Hazzard". They have the General Lee, Daisy's jeep and one of the sherriff's cars. So here, the teams needed to have their picture (polaroid)taken in one of the cars before they could get their final clue. I was told that one of team members was so excited, that she actually jumped into the General Lee just like the good ole boys did, not knowing that she could of simply opened the door. I should have given her extra points having heard that, I love that! I would have probably done the same thing.
Going off on a little tangent, I promise I will come back to the race, but talking about the Dukes of Hazzard, it reminded me of when my brother and I were younger. I remember a time my mom moving our cars side by side out in the yard, so that my brother and I could pretend that were were the Duke's, jumping into the cars through the windows. What a great mom!!!!!
Now, back to the rest of the story. The final clue, sent the teams back to the church, where they had to find me and bring their balloon animals and polaroid picture from Cooter's to the finish line.
Sean had also created this huge race car that we had at the finish line. Unfortunately at one point it blew into the grass and popped a couple of the wheels, but he was able to fix it and later donated to the library which is doing a racing theme for the summer, how cool was that that they decided to do that theme for the summer, all planned before the "Amazing Race" was even announced!
After everyone got back we had a cookout and even played a couple of innings of Kickball.
What a great day, I hope the teams had as much fun as I did planning the event!!!
Here are some pictures from the day!


No comments:
Post a Comment